About the Episode
Oliver shares his hands-on experience on corporate entrepreneurship, innovation, leadership and learning from his time at Nestle and Migros, building corporate startups and developing an innovation lab. He explains how they went from quarterly learning cycles to weekly and what it takes to get there.
Finally, Oliver is going to tell us his biggest secret/takeaway for innovators, especially within large organisations.
We hope that you enjoy listening to – “The Man in the Mirror”.
Topics and Insights
- 04:00 Overcoming challenges in communicating with leadership in the pre-revenue phase when learning is the primary focus.
- 11:30 Setting expectations about the (learning) roadmap with leadership.
- 14:50 The journey to shorter experiment and insight cycles – “Go fast go alone, go far go together”.
- 18:00 The importance of managing the scale-up challenge from the beginning of the process – from innovation accounting to standard financial accounting.
- 20:15 On the need for a learning organisation.
- 20:50 Measuring teams, reporting on learning and insights.
- 25:00 Recording insights & knowledge management
- 32:30 Collaborating and creating a shared vision within large organisations.
- 37:00 Oliver’s biggest secret for how to change the way large organisations innovate.
About the Co-host
Our guest and co-host Oliver Durrer is a Swiss global citizen with a love for life and learning. Passionate about people, tech, lean innovation and social impact, Oliver is on a mission to empower purpose-driven pioneers to unleash their full potential for impact. He has 15+ years of experience in fostering corporate entrepreneurship, innovation and learning, with large enterprises, SMBs and tech startups across Europe, Southeast Asia and Silicon Valley.
Oliver is the founder of SwissLEAP which was set up to help leaders, teams and organizations navigate uncertainty, lead change and innovate with impact to sustainably create shared value.
SwissLEAP’s signature Lasting Enterprise Action Practices (“LEAP”) combines the business excellence and stability of successful enterprises with the speed, learning and innovation capabilities of lean startups.
Oliver holds an lic. oec. in Business Management from Lausanne University. He is a certified lean innovation coach, trained market opportunity navigator and lecturer of innovation and intrapreneurship at HWZ Business School Zurich’s Executive MBA in Digital Leadership.
A fan of foreign cultures and languages, Oliver enjoys connecting with people in (Swiss-)German, English, French, Italian & Spanish.